ATEG Archives

October 2012

From:
Martha Galphin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2012 09:16:41 -0400

Why would one write "what constitutes as" as opposed to simpler and in my opinion the correct "constitutes"?
"Constitutes" is a transitive verb not an intransitive verb. Example sentence where the incorrect use was found follows:  "Reading a lot illuminates what constitutes as
good and bad writing. . . ." Why not Reading a lot illuminates what constitutes good and bad writing."

I'd really appreciate a direct answer responding to "constitutes as" vs. "constitutes"
for use in class today.

Thank you.

Martha Galphin