ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:43:43 -0400
This exchange, I think, is an excellent illustration of the complex issue of
the secondary/post-secondary difference(s) in education. What succeeds at
the university may not be successful in high, middle, or elementary
school -- and vice versa. What I think we all need is open mindedness. Nancy
Patterson (clearly, you've read Dewey!) and Robert Einarsson are both right!
They're just talking about different populations. It takes twelve years to
prepare students for college, and as many of you may know, college freshmen
still have a tough time adjusting to the changes. Even high school seniors
have a difficult time "sitting for hours" -- doing ANYTHING. Eventually,
most of them they stop working altogether (it's called "senioritis") --
usually shortly after they receive acceptance letters from the colleges of
their choice -- then they scramble for the last two weeks of school to get
enough done to secure graduation. If colleges were interested in making
Bob's unspoiled ideal a reality, they might put some academic conditions on
acceptance! It would certainly help those of us who teach high school
seniors to at least attempt some intellectual work from March through June.

But we can't expect too much! The years from 5th through 12th grades are
filled with change and with anxiety. Teenagers are often focused on
everything BUT their intellects. They do, however, eventually grow beyond
these years of impulse and hormones. During these times, they need to learn
a work ethic, for sure, and they need us to serve as role models, but they
also need to breathe and be young. Rites of passage are useful, and variety
in education is often in itself a prescription for success.

Paul E. Doniger