ATEG Archives

March 1997

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:09:39 +0000
Hello grammar mavins,

It's good to read you all again.

I see my little question about holistic scoring is generating an interesting
discussion.

For example, Bill McLeary just wrote: >...it does not seem reasonable to
blame holistic scoring for any decline in students' ability to use
mechanics. If any decline occurs (which I doubt), the blame must lie elsewhere.>

I heartily agree, though I still have some concerns about holistic scoring.
I did not mean to imply that I thought that holistic grades were at fault
for the decline in students' ability to use grammar and mechanics - that
decline began before the advent of holistic scoring, I believe.  I suppose,
however, that somebody, somewhere might be placing blame.  Perhaps the best
thing would be to deal with issues of grammar, spelling, and mechanics
outside the "scoring" of the writing.

Does anyone out there give two separate sets of grades for a single piece of
writing (a content grade and a grammar, et al grade) and leave them
separate?  How would you use this kind of grading system in your classes?
Does anyone see a benefit or a problem with this idea?

I'm curious about what you think.

Thanks,

Paul E. Doniger - University of Bridgeport; ELI