ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
John Crow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 06:07:06 -0400
Bill,

I think you hit the hit the nail on the head with your "two different kinds
of judgment systems."  Your food analogy is an excellent encapsulation of
the underlying issue.

I also agree with you that most of today's students have limited reading
experience compared to students of past generations.  I probably should have
said that today's students "have been exposed to" many thousands of
sentences instead of "have read."  However, most of these students
(developmental or not) are able to comprehend sentences that contain a
variety of sentence openers (as well as other structures) and, if asked,
they can write similarly structured sentences on topics of their choosing.
In fact, Constance Weaver gives examples of how *first graders* can do a
pretty amazing job of making up their own sentences following the structure
of an example, as demonstrated by her *I Am* poem exercises.

John