ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:04:37 -0400
So are you saying, Alison, that the SAT and other standardized tests would
find such usage preferable? Most of the SAT questions provide choices, and
if one of the choices were to recast the sentence to avoid pairing the
singular noun with the plural "their," would that not be the "correct"
choice?

By the way, the answer to today's SAT "question of the day" is a good
example of why we don't need that tail to wag this dog. See it at
http://apps.collegeboard.com/qotd/question.do. I chose option "A" because I
thought the verb needed to be in the present tense. I imagine that a lot of
students who have been taught to refer to published writing in the present
tense would also have made that selection.

Nancy