ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:47:39 +1000
Richard, "Hippies are cool, greasers are fools." is fine: Its comma can splice because it is a listing comma (i.e.: it lists two descriptions). A listing comma is a sort of + sign in the logic of this splicing. But "It was nobody's fault, that was the thing to remember" ? I cannot come at this. No sort of logical operation happens here that warrants a splicing. These are simply two independent sentences. If O'Connor wanted to mark a special relationship of proximity here, he might have done it with a colon or even a semi-colon:

It was nobody's fault: t/That was the thing to remember.
It was nobody's fault; that was the thing to remember.

(Joseph O'Conner must have had a lousy editor!)

Sophie