ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
John Curran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:01:02 -0400
Richard,
  I was very interested in your list - particularly:

 14. TG has no skeleton, no structure on which to hang language and grammar

     information;

I have been struggling in Tokyo for nine years to teach English,currently

with what is known as an eclectic approach. This is by the use of textbooks

that incorporate bits and pieces of everything - traditional

grammar,communicative language teaching, task-based teaching. New

textbooks come and go. A recent textbook has an accompanying CD that

allows students to drill their grammar on the shinkansen. Memories of

England fity years ago on the trolley buses!  We need something more -

something on which to

hang the grammar. After years of conscientious study many Japanese still

have no clue about English. Could the secret lie in Beverly Dererwianka's

"the basic unit of meaning in English is the clause"? Or in Martha Kolln's

ten basic structures and diagramming?

Can you help out a struggling teacher at the chalk face?

          John Curran