ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:04:43 -0500
Karl, Craig, and all - thank you for your responses.

The SAT does include questions that pertain to usage issues that cannot be
pinned down to a survey of high school grammar instruction. That's a
separate issue, I suppose. Karl - in many cases with sentence corrections,
the subject seems somehow out of place and not, as you notice, a modifier
(or a single word in the case of my original model). Here's another:

Although criticized by a few for her daredevil aviation escapades, *most
people viewed Amelia Earhart as a skillful pilot.
*
(a) most people viewed Amelia Earhart as a skillful pilot
(b) most people viewed Amelia Earhart to be a skillful pilot
(c) a skillful pilot was what most people viewed Amelia Earhart as
(d) Amelia Earhart was viewed by most people as a skillful pilot
(e) Amelia Earhart, a skillful pilot in the view of most people

Can we name the exact and explicit grammatical principle? It's not a
misplaced modifier, since according to the question the subject and
predicate is the underlined issue. What would you call that, in a certain,
specific term? What would Warriner's call this?

As far as an error being confined to the underlined choice, a question such
as the one below defies that suggestion:

*Given her strong sense* of social justice, Burns *vehemently* *protested
over* her party's failure *to support* a tax decrease.

Only a part of the underlined phrase "protested over" needs correction -
the elimination of "over". What's the explicit grammatical principal? Is
wordiness grammatical, or stylistic?

Craig - your students need those terms from you because teachers at the
High School level believe Hillocks et al since their college professors in
Methods courses tout Hillocks et al. And then they come to department
meetings and share articles from NCTE that tout Hillocks et al. Many
students come to me, a teacher of 11th graders, not knowing that an adverb
modifies a verb, and not knowing what it means to modify at all, frankly.
That they are being exposed to these discussion is huge for them - yes, I
do let them read your collective responses. And if they and their
understandings are overly simplistic, as Karl suggests, it's because school
teaches them 1+1=2 and the SAT gets you into college and the world teaches
them that if you can sing well, run fast, look pretty, or the like then you
can probably make a whole lot of money. You might be surprised, but 17 year
old humans like to see things very clearly, especially if their teachers
tell them so: Tiger Woods cheated on his wife and deserved what he got; War
is bad and so was Bush; the "Nucleus" is that large oval body near the
center of the cell, and other facts. They like formulas because they're
constant and because you can use them on the test. When they take the SAT
at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning, they're thinking one thing - how can I do
this and pass with a score good enough to get me into my first choice
college? It's not a conversation, it's a performance.

Grammatical ambiguity on the SAT would be a lovely thing to assess, if
teachers actually talked about it and also assessed student understanding
of grammatical ambiguity in specific cases. I posed my initial question to
the list because I found it interesting and because my students - young,
impressionable, and actually willing to talk about things that others have
labeled over their heads - wanted to know more. I believe they made a fair
argument from their knowledge base, though I told them (as suggested in my
first message) how they sentence was technically "correct." I'm not in the
business of either critiquing or defending the SAT - my role is to get them
ready for Craig.

I thank you again for your help and for these wonderful conversations.

John