ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
"MARLOW, DAVID" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:10:40 -0400
Here's a quote I intend to share with my grammar class next week:

Of course, the language is under no obligation to behave according to

our expectations. The longer I study it, the more I enjoy finding out I

was wrong.

& this also relates to why I am interested in the study of grammar (Yes, I'm blending threads)...

My first real memories of studying grammar emerge from my 10th grade English class where I failed the Final Exam (the only "F" my parents had ever seen on a report card & I was 5th of 5 kids, so this was a big deal...)

I hated grammar in 10th grade because:

1)  We studied unrelated sentences in a linear fashion with no relevance to real-world communication

2)  There was always one and only one correct answer

3)  The teacher was always right

4)  The teacher explained away any idiosyncrasies with "It is _______, because I say it is"

I continued to hate grammar through several 200, 600 & 700 level classes (though I had some great teachers that planted seeds for later growth & development) & nearly turned down my first teaching job because I was expected to teach "Modern English Grammar"...

My hatred has turned to fascination as I have explored how I can make the study of grammar (both the formal rules and the more heart-connected dialectal forms) immediately applicable to my students... I try to confront the apprehension/dislike my students often express with the challenge of solving a puzzle & using the puzzle as a real-world tool...

(I too would like to see your riddles & puzzles, Joshua!)

Best,

David W. Marlow, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Linguistics and ESOL

Vice President/President Elect - Carolina TESOL

Founder, South Carolina Language & Life Project

University of South Carolina - Upstate

800 University Way

Spartanburg, SC 29303

864.503.5849