ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:29:25 -0500
Bruce,
I've heard constructions like "the bright colored dress" (I don't know
if it's a dialect issue, but I'm from Alabama and the person posting was
from Texas). There's an important way in which stress figures into the
interpretation, though: it's usually pronounced like "a bright-colored
dress," not "a bright, colored dress." In fact, I'm not sure anyone
would ever describe a dress simply as "colored"; after all, even white
is a color, and transparent dresses would probably violate local
statutes.
One possible explanation is that speakers vary in the extent to which
they regard "colored" as basically verbal. "A bright-hued dress" is not
very odd, possibly because we don't use commonly use "hue" as a verb.
Bill Spruiell