ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:49:47 -0400
The NPG group's decision to emphasize knowledge about language over
knowledge about error correction should not be taken as a sign that we
don't think the latter is important. Of course we want students to be
able to adhere to the conventions of standard English. The situation is
not one of "teach either A or B," however; instead, it's "understanding
A is a prerequisite to understanding B."

In the absence of a rich, "organic" knowledge of language and language
use, students have to approach the conventions of standard English as a
kind of confusing hodgepodge of unrelated things to memorize - it's
rather like what would happen in a math class if the relation between
division and subtraction were never, ever discussed. The goal - or at
least the hope - is that once a given level of basic understanding is
reached, the conventions can be discussed in a more compact and
effective way.

As an example, think of trying to explain the usage of 'whom' in formal
English to (a) a student who has no idea of what a subject or object is,
and (b) one who already knows (and is comfortable with) those terms. In
the first case, you're in for a long (and probably pointless) afternoon
of trying to get the point across.  In the second case, you don't really
have to spend much time explaining anything; you just have to emphasize
the need for care when approaching sentences with multiple clause
embedding, etc.

The problem with trying to design materials to get a student from zero
to proficiency with standard English in fourteen weeks is that, in
practical terms, it can't be done. No one in math would expect a student
to go from basic addition to algebra in fourteen weeks; you have to
build a knowledge base for each step. The problem is not that teachers
can't lead students to full proficiency in one semester - it's that
school systems sometimes really expect this, or that a teacher faced
with students who are far short of being able to perform according to a
criterion that has to be met by the end of the semester (because whoever
is in charge of curriculum wrote that criterion but didn't work on the
ones for preceding grades) feels more responsibility than an outside
observer would weigh him/her down with.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University