ATEG Archives

October 2010

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 07:56:02 -0700
The Writer's Harbrace Handbook, Cheryl Glenn & Loretta Gray, c.2009
Page 417.  When the speaker <had finished> finished, everyone applauded.
(The past perfect tense had finished indicates a time before the action
expressed by applauded.)Wrong.

Past perfect, page 419.  Ms. Jones <had been called> was called to jury duty
twice last year, but she was glad to serve again.

27a. page 437.  "In the summer of 1983, I had just finished my third year of
architecture and had to find a six-month internship. I <had grown> grew up and
<gone> went through my entire education in the Midwest, but I <had been> went to
New York City once on a class field trip and I thought it seemed like a pretty
good place to live.  ~~ Paul K. Humiston, "Small World"

Would you say, Paul, "In the summer of 1983, I had grown up in the Midwest"? You
wouldn't, would you?

This is Exhibit #118 to my assertion that there is at least one 'had' error on
any grammar website or in any grammar text you can name. Challenges are
encouraged and appreciated.

.brad.02oct10.