ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:12:02 -0400
I would really appreciate suggestions regarding short passages from essays,
stories, etc. that could be used as syntactic models for copying exercises,
fill-in-the-blanks, sentence-combining, etc. I am especially interested in
passages from texts read by students in grades 6-12, but others will also be
appreciated. Peter Feely told me that there would be no problem if my TRIP book
manuscript for NCTE was adapted from the KISS web site, so part of the manuscript
is at
http://www2.pct.edu/courses/evavra/KISS/Monday/index.htm
In essence, I am looking for practical exercises for the various activities
described there. Other suggestions, of course, will also be appreciated.
     I have, by the way, reread the relevant parts of the Braddock and Hillocks
reports, and I now find that, to a large extent, I agree with them. It seems to me
that most of the members of ATEG, although they clothe it in new terms, are going
back to the "traditional" memorization, definition, kill-and-drill approach of the
textbooks. In essence, fill the students with definitions, rules, exceptions,
etc., and then wonder why their writing doesn't improve. If anyone can explain why
I'm wrong, I'm interested.
Ed V.