ATEG Archives

August 2012

From:
Wanda Van Goor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2012 09:55:10 -0400
I see the whole clause as the object of the preposition  "to"--and whom"
doesn't even enter the discussion;it's "who" as the subject of  "had"--

Missed you at the ATEG meeting...

In a message dated 8/1/2012 10:03:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Help me with this again, please. I’ve raised this kind of  issue before,
but I can’t remember your answers. Sorry. I would appreciate  your thoughts
again. Thank you.

From a statement regarding King Henry VIII from the  Wikipedia article “
English Reformation”:
“. . .he allowed himself to be  influenced by his advisors from whom he was
never apart, by night or day; he  was thus susceptible to whoever had his
ear.”

Am I to understand  “whoever” is correct because the verb “had” needs a
subject, put better, the  clause needs a subject, and that that requirement
is more important than the  preposition “to” requiring an object?

This is the way I guide myself,  but I don’t think I should explain it this
way to my ESL students.

Martha G.

PS  Hope the conference was enjoyable and  successful.

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit  the list's web interface
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and  select "Join or
leave the list"
Visit ATEG's web site at  http://ateg.org/