ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:54:29 -0500
Jane,

The question is how independent may and might have become from each
other.  The pairs may/might, will/would, shall/should, can/could
represent historical present/past contrasts, but that meaning/form
difference goes back to Old English and is largely lost in Modern
English, although under sequence of tenses conditions it may still show
up.  However, the sequence of tenses rules are a lot looser than people
tend to think, perhaps part of the question involved in Brad's survey,
and whether one follows them in a particular instance depends on other
factors than tense.  But this gets to be a complex and messy subject
very quickly, and before plunging into it I want to look at a couple of
grammars.

Herb