ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:48:04 -0400
Peter,
     Unfortunately, the list is set up to not allow attachments. If you
send it to those who request it, please put me on the list.
     I thought of an example of awkwardly starting a sentence with
because after my last posting.
    "Many people have been abandoning their homes. In part because their
homes are worth less than they owe, they are doing so."
    Compare:
     "Many people have been abandoning their homes. They are doing so,
in part, because their homes are worth less than they owe."
    In this case, the awkwardness of the first version comes from the
main clause being entirely given. The usual (expected) place for new
meaning is at the end.

Craig