ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Linda DiDesidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:59:41 EDT
My mom was German, and she ALWAYS used 'whom' when appropriate. And I think
that that was because of the marked accusative and dative cases in German:

SUBJECT : Who "Wer"
DIRECT OBJECT (ACC): Whom "Wen"
INDIRECT OBJ (DAT):  Whom "Wem"

For non-masculine nouns, however, there are no changes in accusative case,
but there are changes in dative case. I'm guessing that may be where that
explanation came from.

Here is the declension (if I remember it correctly! And if not, someone  will
correct me!)

Subject: Der Mann; Die Frau; Das Maedchen
ACC (DO): Den Mann; Die Frau; Das Maedchen
DAT (IO): Dem Mann: Der Frau; Dem Maedchen

Linda