ATEG Archives

March 2016

From:
John Crow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:19:15 -0400
The following sentence bothers me:

As a result, most of what native speakers “know” about their language is
burned deep into the circuitry of their brains.

What I cannot seem to come to grips with is the word "deep."  It is, to me,
obviously an adverb, so it should be "deeply."  However, when I make that
substitution, my internal grammar checker informs me that that's wrong.
What's going on here?

Thanks!

John