ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
Martha Galphin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:57:57 -0500

I would not be comfortable with 'life' and would prefer "Those adolescents and young adults who engage in this risky behavior are basically putting their lives on the line."
Martha

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:36:08 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: plural possessive with singular noun
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi

OK – what about this one? Is there a good reason ‘life’ should be singular? Adolescents and young adults who engage in this risky behavior are basically putting their life on the line.

Janet