ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:41:30 -0500
Herb, and all,
     I have been working on a similar application to Shirley Jackson's
"The Lottery." I figure this is as good a time as any to pass on my
current version of that:

Remote past in Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery”

     Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” is an interesting case study in use
of the past perfect. Most of the action takes place on one day of the
lottery, an annual event in the life of the village with a long
(partially lost) history.  Past tense is dominant for the “current”
day’s events, past perfect for earlier times, though past perfect shows
up in a few other places as well. Here are the openings to the first
four paragraphs.
      “The morning of the 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh
warmth of a full summer day; the flowers were blooming profusely and the
grass was richly green. The people in the village began to gather in the
square….”
     “The children assembled first, of course….”
      “Soon the men began to gather….”
      “The lottery was conducted—as were the square dances, the teen-age
club, the Halloween program—by Mr. Summers, who had time and energy to
devote to civic activities…”

     In the fifth paragraph, the story begins to deal with the fact that
the lottery is a long standing tradition, and this is reflected in
perfect aspect verbs. Here’s the first sentence in that paragraph.
      “The original paraphernalia for the lottery had been lost long
ago, and the black box now resting on the stool had been put into use
even before Old Man Warner, the oldest man in town, was born.”

     Paragraph six mixes these two senses of time at the outset.
      “Mr. Martin and his oldest son, Baxter, held the black box
securely on the stool until Mr. Summers had stirred the papers
thoroughly with his hand. Because so much of the ritual had been
forgotten or discarded, Mr. Summers had been successful in having slips
of paper substituted for the chips of wood that had been used for
generations.”

     A little further in the story: “The people had done it so many
times that they only half listened to the directions….”

      I think Herb is right; the focus of the story is very much on what
happens on a particular day, with past history an important (in this
case, more remote) background. In this last sentence, the fact that they
“half listened” is foreground, and the fact that they had done it so
many times is background explanation to that.
     I don't think we can adequately judge the efficacy of these
decisions outside the discourse context.

Craig