ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:21:24 -0700
My first linguistics paper ever was on the topic of "disjunctive"
pronouns in French, and the fact (or so I concluded) that English was
coming to resemble French in this way. It is unexceptional in French
to say "c'est moi" (it is me), or to say "lui, il ne sais rien" (him,
he doesn't know anything). French uses objective case in such
situations, and English does, too.

I now suspect that there is a discourse motivation (using objective
case in focus position, perhaps?) for these "disjunctive" pronouns.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374