ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:08:03 -0400
Bob,
  It probably doesn't change your argument at all, but Rei doesn't use tag
questions as a test for sentences. He uses them to test for subject. You
can put tag questions at the end of structures that traditional grammar
wouldn't accept as a sentence, but that would be fine in normal talk.

"Nice shot."  "Your turn." "Hot enough for you?" "More coffee on table
eight." >

"Nice shot, wasn't it?" "Your turn, isn't it?" And so on.

I think tag questions have a highly pragmatic function, asking for
affirmation or confirmation from a listener or reader.

   As teachers, I think we can and do share a belief that students bring a
great deal of automatic, intuitive, or unconscious knowledge that can
be put to work in helping them understand what is required of them in
the context of more formal writing. I agree; a good deal of what they
need is already there. We seem to differ in how to account for it.

Craig

I am sorry I am coming late to this discussion.  I agree with everything