ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:59:29 -0700
I like to tell students that the secret to English punctuation lies in looking at the three types of joining words all at once (in a 3 column slide), then taking note each has it's own punctuation.  I further point out that it is relatively easy to keep the three sets apart.  I point out the FANBOYS acronym for coordinate conjunctions and then note that the ideas of subordinate and conjunctive adverb already exists in their head it is just a matter of getting comfortable with it.  To prove it I give them a few examples and they try to place them in the correct category with the others on the slide.

And then I give these basic rules which are quite elucidating and elmininate a lot of problems:

1.  Coordinate Conjunctions.

A comma always precedes the coordinate conjunction

                   A, and B.

2.  Subordinate conjunctions.

If the conjuntion precedes the conjunction clause use a comma.

                   Because A, B.

                   B because A.

3.  Conjunctive Adverbs

There are four ways to do this.

                  A.  However, B.

                  B; however, B.

                   A.  B..., however, B... .

                   A.  B... , however.

They find this approach clears their mind.  I teach post-secondary and there are frequently confusions that need to be cleared up rather than ideas that need to be introduced.

Phil Bralich