ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:41:55 -0400
Ed,

What exactly do you think "morphology" means?  When you say things such as

"Members of this list, of course, want to teach
grammar, but a focus on linguistics (morphology,
sociolinguistics, etc.) is not going to help
teachers who themselves cannot identify subjects
and verbs"

it would appear that in your effort to help
students identify "subjects and verbs" you are
bypassing one of their best built-in linguistic
resources--the inflectional and derivational
morphemes that identify nouns and verbs and
adjectives and adverbs.   Native speakers of
English have a built-in understanding of the four
"form classes," based to a great extent on
morphology.  And lessons in the classroom on the
various morphemes that signal the parts of speech
are real eye-openers for students who think they
know nothing about grammar.

What is a noun?  A word that can be made plural
and/or possessive with inflectional morphemes.  A
noun is also a word that can be formed by adding
the derivational morpheme -tion to a verb; -ness
to an adjective; -ment, -er, etc.   You can help
students identify a noun by discussing its
function as the headword of a noun phrase. You
can also identify a noun by the words that signal
it:  When you see "the" or "a" or "my," you know
you're at the beginning of a noun phrase.  And
when students learn about the various functions
that noun phrases perform--subject, direct
object, object of preposition, etc.--they are
well on the way to understanding sentence
(clause) structure.

  What is a verb?  It's a word that can be put
into the past:  Use it in a sentence with
"yesterday," for example, and then try it with
"tomorrow" to see its various forms.  It's a word
that has both an -ing and an -s ending.  It has a
past and past participle, too, but they're not
always easy to spot when the verb is irregular;
the -s and -ing are never irregular!  (For the
past participle, use a verb with "have.")  How
else can you help your students to identify
verbs?  Sometimes verbs are easy to spot on the
basis of their derivational suffixes:  -ize,
-ify, -en,  or such prefixes as be- and en-.  And
the verb is that word in the predicate that
patterns with auxiliaries.   (That "tomorrow"
version of the verb probably added the modal
auxiliary "will.")

We've mentioned before on this list how to
identify where the subject ends and the predicate
begins: simply substitute a personal pronoun (he,
it, they, etc.)--or even a demonstrative, such as
"this," or simply "something" or "someone"--for
the subject.

This is not traditional school grammar, Ed.  It's
also not a part of KISS grammar, as far as I can
tell.  Linguists have taught us these concepts,
ways of helping our students use their internal
expertise.

As for sociolinguistics, we do our students a
real disservice when we don't discuss the
language, the grammar, of their daily life as
contrasted, for example, with the language of
politics or church or the schoolroom.  That
discussion doesn't replace "subjects and verbs";
it puts those clauses into their social context.

Traditional school grammar fails students when it
doesn't help them use their own expertise; it
doesn't show them how much they know as speakers
of a language.  Linguistic grammar helps students
recognize their native expertise; that conscious
understanding can give them confidence in their
ability as speakers and writers.

Martha