ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:21:56 -0400
I'll venture a guess: a prepositional phrase, with "hence" serving as the
preposition, "attempt" as the object, and "to focus on mainstream
institutions" as an adjectival infinitive phrase modifying "attempt." But
how does the prepositional phrase (if that's what it is) function? Is it
adverbial, modifying the verb "has" in the main clause?

I'm going to print out our discussion and share it with my advanced grammar
class-all English majors, some of whom have already discovered the joy of
such discussions-the next generation of ATEGers.

Nancy

  _____