ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:29:47 -0800
Herb wrote:  There is no empirical way to show that “walked” in “He had walked five miles” is a past tense form.  That’s not the sort of mistake native speakers or proficient non-native speakers make.

My two questions are in direct response to what you see above. The two questions were and are and will be for Herb, not for you. If you would pay attention to what is written and what is in direct response to it, you would not annoy yourself.

When he replies to the response to his first sentence above, I will have a query about his second sentence above, so brace yourself.

.brhad.sun.28feb10.

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:05:55 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: He walked five miles
To: [log in to unmask]

Herb,

1.)  Please tell me what this sentence means: He walked five miles.

2.)  Please tell me what this sentence means: He had walked five miles.

.thanks.brad.27feb10.