ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:56:16 EDT
In a message dated 4/2/2001 1:17:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< My own approach, for what it's worth, would be just to teach
present/past/future as 'tense' and refer to progressive, perfect, and other
modal-related changes as 'aspects' of the verb phrase.  The important thing,
I believe, at this age level is to get students to understand the simpler
notion of tense (past, present, future) and understand that tense is always
present, regardless of the modals or changes made to the ending of the main
verb.    >>

Larry,

I like this.  I do teach it sort of like this (okay, I admit that I didn't
remember the word "aspect" - I just dealt with the aux. verbs.  Now I know
better!).  I have had a major problem selling present perfect as a present
tense to sixth graders.  They insist that "I have shopped" is a past tense
because it is a completed action.  Future perfect makes them crazier - "how
can you have a completed action in the future??!!"

Since I don't have time to really do a proper job of teaching linguistics or
real grammar (see archives for long, impassioned post on the subject!), I do
the best I can.  Right now I'm having the kids analyze the effect of the
different tenses (and aspects!) on their writing - hence my current question.
 They seem to understand how to use the different tenses when they speak and
write, but a major issue with middle school kids' writing is controlling
tense shift.  This approach seems to help them become more aware of what they
are writing.

We are looking into a linguistics class as an elective for our eighth
graders, but I can't find a text for middle school that is "real" grammar vs.
"school book" grammar for this level.

I also really like the suggestions of "conditional."  I think the kids would
understand that.

Thanks to everyone, as always, for your help,
Gretchen in San Jose