ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:19:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2007 10:29:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I  don’t care which system wins out, but I wish we’d hit a firm consensus
soon so  I can stop worrying that I’ll get my students in trouble by teaching
them the  wrong

Bill,

In middle school, I teach this the same way you do, and I explain  to my
students why the singular "their" is gaining acceptance.  It drives  them crazy.
They want to view language as a simple set of rules that they  can learn and
be done. The idea that they have to take audience into  consideration doesn't
seem "fair" to them - that they might someday not get  a job or into a school
of their choice because they misjudge an audience really  makes them angry.

My answer, "welcome to the real world," doesn't seem to help.   I try to help
them sort it through, but they want me to give them set-in-stone  answers.

~Gretchen, who still can't answer ""It is me" to the question "who  is it?"