ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:13:40 -0700
Perhaps some of you are familiar with the book by Marianne Celce-Murcia
and Diane Larsen-Freeman, "The ESL Grammar Book". I believe it is used
as a textbook in ESL teacher-training programs (it was at U of MT when
I taught there one semester a long time ago). It covers a great deal of
English grammar. I think if a teacher trainee had this as a textbook
and didn't learn anything about English grammar, it would be the
trainee's fault.

The problem with many current ESL teachers is that, even if they had
grammar training in their teacher-prep courses, one semester or even
more is often not enough to make up for the many years missed in K-12.
They might learn enough to pass a test and get their degree, but they
have to return to the subject again and again to get proficient enough
to teach grammar with ease. Although I don't agree with Phil's version
of what grammar to teach, I do agree that grammar teaching should start
early and continue throughout the grades. I also find it absurd that
students who want to become teachers of French, German, or whatever,
are often not required to take any linguistics (not even
second-language-acquisition theory or teaching methods). ESL teaching
is the only area of language education I know of that is based on real
linguistics instead of the "great literature" & grammar/translation
tradition. (Although inroads have been made by textbook authors like
Tracy Terrell and his associates.)

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374