ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:08:29 -0500
There's a formality issue involved as well (apologies if this point has
already been raised; I'm doing quick catch-up). Native speakers don't
use the past perfect much in ordinary speech, but formal writing
encourages it in the "event occurring before another past event"
situation.  "John was angry because his application was turned down"
would strike very few as odd in spoken English, or as dialogue in a
novel. If it occurred in a scholarly paper I was asked to look over, I'd
suggest shifting to past perfect in the subordinate clause.

That is, however, quite different from saying one version is somehow
existentially wrong. At least part of the reason that grammar texts
traditionally harped on the past perfect so much may be that Latin, or
to an even greater extent, Greek, was viewed as an ideal, and so people
thought that the strict sequence-of-tenses rules for those languages
should exist in English as well. I'm not even sure Greek writers stuck
to the "rules," frankly, but I would have to do a lot of background
checking before saying that confidently.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University