ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Richard Wallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:01:30 -0800

Herb reminds us of the following:

"<Biff> was the name of the dog, a pet of
the group at Bell Labs that developed UNIX, and they had trained Biff to fetch
the mail for them."

An interesting note is that 'biff  y'  is the UNIX notification that incoming mail has arrived (the 'y' is for "yes"). So I suggest that we henceforth refer to our resident mail troll as "Biffy."

Do you know that our Biffy attended Shortridge High School in Indianapolis? He is apparently 78 years old, is now retired and lives in Warrenton, Virginia, and was a member of something called the "Sphinx Club" at Wabash College (Indiana)?

Ain't the Internet wonderful?

http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009