ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:03:47 -0400
Good afternoon...  I'd be grateful for your collective input on a student
sentence:

"Tim remembered those books growing up and also at the bottom of the box was
a pocket watch complete with chain and front panel that flipped open to show
its face."

A little context - Tim finds at a yard sale a box containing several items
of interest, including a series of children's books he recalls reading
(those books).

I'm concerned about "and" trying to connect two dissimilar thoughts into a
compound sentence, but I also see a mixed voice here. Tim does the action in
the first clause and then the pocket watch "was at the bottom..." in the
second clause (passive?). I've seen this construction more than a few times
and want to address it effectively.

Thank you...

--
John Chorazy