ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
"T. J. Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 16:34:29 -0600
The last grill brush you will ever need.

Is this a sentence at all?  To assume an understood "This is" or
"It is" won't account for it as they have very different meaning
possible references.  One almost demands that the brush be
in the vicinity for reference.  The other might well reference a
brush that has yet to be created.

I'd take "ever" as a simple adverb with the caveat that it  must
precede the verb it modifies.  Perhaps it also needs something such
as "will" in front of it.

The understood "that" not stated in the clause is a relative pronoun
that serves as the direct object of "will need."

Is "last" anything more than a simple adjective?  Does it function any
differently than, say, "ultimate"?

tj