ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:57:06 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:49:57 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Perhaps  by it's very nature ATEG has to be a big tent organization that
can't  endorse change without alienating its many highly conservative
members. If  that's the case, then a rethinking of grammar has to  happen
elsewhere.

Craig,

I'd hate to see this. I'm a member of NPG also, but I think that  ATEG has
something to contribute.  Just because there are conservatives on  the list
doesn't mean the whole list wants to go back to Warriners. I joined the  list in
reaction to my school's buying Warriners, and I wanted something  different. I
don't add a lot, as I don't have the knowledge of linguistics that  many of
you do, but I follow the ebb and flow.  I've gained a great deal  from it.

If the US Congress has managed to work together with liberals and
conservatives agreeing to disagree, surely we can.  An occasional ruckus  could and
should be ignored. If the conservatives want their own scope and  sequence, let
them use what's already there.  I don't see why you should  suspend your efforts
because some don't think you are making any headway or are  headed in the
wrong direction.  There are many of us who applaud you and  the those who are
trying to do the impossible.  We just aren't as vocal.  Perhaps we should be, but
I think there's a lot of support for what you are  doing.

Ignore the naysayers. They can use Warriners if that's what they  want.  They
have a program. But don't abandon those of us who've been  begging for a new
approach program to implement in middle and high schools. We  need you!

~Gretchen