ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:19:54 -0500
Here's an example from Dickens of "as" as a relative pronoun. Sam Weller
says, "...the turnkeys takes wery good care to seize hold o' ev'ry body
but them as pays 'em..."

I'd like to see some "but" and "but that" examples.

Richard Veit

Department of English, UNCW

Wilmington, NC 28403-5947

910-962-3324