ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:10:56 -0800
I'm with Sophie on this one. It's a comma splice--two independent
clauses joined by a comma. Each sentence has a subject and predicate,
and there's no subordinator in sight, so I don't see how people can
interpret the first sentence as subordinate. We're going by syntax, not
meaning, to decide this question. Meaning relationships can, however, be
used to decide what sort of alternative punctuation is available. These
sentences could have a period, a semicolon, or an em-dash between them.
I disagree with the poster who said that em-dashes can't be used between
sentences--they can, when the meaning of the sentences is close (similar
to use of a semicolon). I'm sure numerous grammar books will back me up
on this point. In this case, I think a semicolon or em-dash would be
better than a period, since the sentences are closely related in meaning.

So it's a comma splice. That said, is it an error? The answer to that
question depends on the stylistic goals of the piece. If it is intended
to conform to the most formal style of writing, I would say change the
punc. to eliminate the comma splice. If it is intended to reflect speech
or to be more informal, maybe let it stand.

In general, with student writers who are learning the ropes of
punctuation, I follow the adage 'you have to walk before you can run'.
Learn to follow the strictest rules of punctuation until you have the
experience, style, and flair to know when you can break those rules.

The fact that there are comma splices in published works doesn't mean
much. There are plenty of badly-edited books around, and style
requirements change. This past term I used a book (published in the
early '60s) on the history of England as a source for developing my
lectures, and it was shot through with sentences which separated a long
subject from the verb with a comma. This practice is forbidden by
current grammar books.

I have a feeling I know part of Ed's motivation in posing this question.
 He has made much in the past of the fact that posters to this list
often disagree on basic matters such as the definition of a clause. I
wonder what the result would be on that and on other questions if one
checked 20 current grammar books or style manuals? I wonder if there
would be as much variation?

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-259
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •  Home page: http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba