ATEG Archives

December 2011

Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 02:37:43 +0000
I have been asked whether the first letter following a colon should be capitalized.  My response was
that if the clause preceding the colon clearly introduces a multi-sentence response then the first letter of
the first sentence following the colon should be capitalized.  In other cases, even if the words following
the colon constitute an independent clause, the first letter need not be capitalized.

I'd appreciate better ways to respond to this student's question.

tj