ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:17:39 -0600
What an  interesting way of characterizing views of grammar that disagree with your own!

Craig writes:

My own tendency has been to lobby for new  ways of looking at grammar, but ATEG has long been an organization made
up of people with fairly conservative (not regressive, not by a long
shot) views.  This was hard on me because I felt I had a lot invested in
the project, but would be asked to shut out from the conversation the
new possibilities in grammar that excite me the most.

****
Of course, there is no hostility in characterizing others views with the term "fairly conservative."

Craig, I appreciate such an honest appraisal of others views of the nature of language.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri