ATEG Archives

July 2011

From:
M C Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:58:13 +0300
Larry,

I agree with you about dual sympathies and think that the ATEG list is
enriched by a variety of opinion. I understand what Brad is saying below
in All Gaul although I'm not sure what a group of prescriptivist
grammarians would have do to, other than prescribing, and I've heard
much more than anyone ever should hear about the past perfect.

If I had my druthers, I'd go with the linguists and their "arcane
tangents," but it needn't come to that. Brad can easily start a
prescriptive grammar list and invite participants. I have seen this done
on other lists in response to similar complaints.

Mark