ATEG Archives

February 2004

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:03:07 -0500
I think there's a difference between "We found/sent the children
upstairs," where "upstairs" is a place--and answers the adverbial
question of "where"--and such structures as "We found the man dead,"
where "dead" describes "man."  They are not "upstairs children"; the
man, however, is a "dead man."

Your prepositional phrase as subject  is a neat example, Herb.
Another is "Over the fence is out of bounds," where both subject and
subject complement are prep phrases in form, both of which are
nominals--names of places.  And certainly adjectival prepositional
phrases can serve as sub. comps, as in "The teacher was in a bad
mood"--which means that prep phrases can also serve as object
complements:  "We found the teacher in a bad mood."

My response to the original question, regarding "We were still some
distance away":  I call that a Pattern I sentence: be followed by an
adverbial of time, just like "The children are upstairs."  I diagram
those adverbials as modifiers of the verb, shown beneath and attached
to the verb, rather than on the line as subject complements.  I
reserve the SC space for nominals and adjectivals that rename or
describe the subject.  While adverbials do function to "complete" the
verb--and in that sense are indeed "complements"--I think it's very
valuable for students  to see the distinction between adverbials and
subject complements.  I think of Pattern I (NP be ADV/TP) [that's
adverbial of time or place] as the "intransitive" be pattern, in
contrast to the "linking" be patterns, those with ADJ or NP subject
complements.

I should also mention how valuable I believe sentence patterns are in
helping students organize all the details of sentence structure.  I
consider the patterns and their diagrams the closet organizers for
learning form and function.

Martha