ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:33:50 -0400
Gretchen,

I can't answer "It is me" either.  "It is I" sounds almost Elizabethan.  But what do you say if you contract the verb?  I can't get "It's I" at all.  With contractions, at least for me, only "me" works.  And, of course, in speech we nearly always contract all the auxiliaries and copulas we can.

Herb