ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:14:09 -0400
The sentence can be recast as an active, and I can see the nominal
wh-clause as a metaphorical agent (and yes, I'm not sure what the
difference between "source" and "metaphorical agent" is either!):

Where the speaker needs to breathe determined this.

If that sounds a bit odd, maybe this works a bit better, since it's less
context-dependent:

What the participants asked for determined what they got.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University