ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:02:35 -0500
Peter asks excellent questions!

As an example of how muddled things can get, I would probably think that
"red" in the examples below is an adjective functioning nomially (noun-ial?
How does one specify that again?), and that the final sentence shows the
word "red" as an adjective.  I admit my bias: I was "taught" that colors
were adjectives, back in the Old Days of my grammar school, and only learned
later that "some adjectives can be nouns, too" (how I remember it being
explained at the time - again, back in the Old Days).  Hence now I still
think of colors as adjectives which can behave as nouns.

I'm fascinated by distinctions like this, which makes my students think I am
a Nerd.  I have embraced this, and laugh about it with them, although I
prefer "language geek," really.

-patty

  _____