ATEG Archives

October 2012

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:27:42 -0500
Colleagues,

I am puzzled by the following:

Certain kinds of sentences make certain kinds of meaning possible, and
students can’t read or write to the extent that they don’t understand and
can’t produce those form/meaning relationships.

I have no idea what this means.  What are the kinds of sentences being
referenced and what are the kinds of meanings those particular types of
sentences make possible?  This seems to me to be a very, very strong claim:
If a language user can't produce a particular kind of sentence, then that
language user is unable to formulate certain kinds of meanings.  I would
love to have some examples. What kind of sentence-meaning relationships
prevent students from reading and writing?  Examples, again, are useful to
understand the claim.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri