ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:41:06 -0400
Ron,
   I think the "one-term long" requirement, even as a minimum, is
indicative of where the problem lies. If we have approaches that may
take years to come to fruition, then these one term tests, or even one
year tests,  will be grossly misleading.
   Example: One group of third graders does routine mathematics (I
assume multiplication, division, maybe fractions, decimals.. I'm not
sure what the usual third grade curriculum is.)  Another group does
hands on engineering. At the end, both groups are given an engineering
post test. The engineering group, lets assume, does better. Therefore,
we have "proven" that math has no carry over to engineering and that it
is a harmful distraction. Education groups then make policy statements
condemning the teaching of math "in isolation."
   We know the value of math in many areas of adult life, and we also
know that it takes many years to set the background for adult "literacy"
in math. What we test in the short term are the concepts we feel are
important in the order we are trying to teach them. And math, of course,
is about much more than avoiding error. We can certainly do the same
thing with knowledge about language. If a concept like "finite verb" is
important, then we can find a place in the curriculum for it and then
test whether or not it is being learned through whatever approaches we
are using. At a certain point along the line, teachers will assume all
students know "finite verb" and can make it part of classroom
conversation. And so on.
   Ed's points in an earlier post are on target. We don't have a
consensus that it is useful to know ANYTHING about grammar, and many
people confuse USING finite verbs (acquiring them) with knowing about
them, or at least believe that using them is enough.
   The ATEG Scope and Sequence project is an attempt to outline what
every adult should know and give some functional ground for that.
Without this sort of theoretical model, there is nothing reasonable to test.
   If we decided that students at Gretchen's level should be allowed to
be language explorers and should explore ways in which the concept of
"noun" is more complicated than "person,. place, and thing," then we
could routinely test whether those goals were being carried out through
her innovative approaches. Without a clear sense of the big picture, it
would be easy to dismiss what she is doing on the basis of, let's say,
continued surface error or a lack of holisticly measured improvement in
writing. It may very well be that those improvements require a
scaffolding of understanding and are still a few years away.

Craig