ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:52:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/06 8:21:11 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> When I called on "form" rather than meaning to define "verb,",I was defining
> a  "part of speech":  verb as a word class;  I was not defining predicate or
> "main verb of the clause."   To look at form in the case of all four form
> classes shows students how to use their inner grammar computer.
>
> The definition for words in context requires both form and function.    Your
> participle example makes that case.  That two-sided definition represents an
> important change from traditional school grammar.
>
> And, yes, it does help the students in both writing and editing stages to
> know about participles as modifiers of verbs. The idea that verb phrases can
> function within noun phrases, adjectivally, is a powerful tool for writers.

Thanks, Martha, for your clarifying reply.   I wonder if you or anyone on
this list has come up with a better way of explaining to students how to identify
the main verb of a clause.   The traditional definition--a word that
"expresses an action or state of being"--seems to be to be clear only to people who
already know what a main verb is.

For now, I'll forego any discussion of that unfortunate term "state of being"
and only take a stab at an explanation that student may find more helpful for
identifying main verbs that are action verbs.

1.   look for a word that expresses something someone or something is doing
or was doing.
2.   if the word has a "to" in front of it, it is not a verb
3.   if the word ends in "-ing" and doesn't have an auxilliary verb, it is
not a verb

Not a very elegant approach, but it does seem to be clearer than the
traditional "expresses an action," which my students interpret as not applying to
verbs like "sleep," "sit," "think," or "decide."

Anyone have a better solution?

Peter Adams