ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Carolyn Kinslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:23:15 -0500
We have a disagreement about subject/verb agreement, and I would like the expert
opinions of the members of this list.  The sentence generating the disagreement
reads,

        "Learning and assimilating new information is always easier when the
information is presented in a familiar pattern."

One camp claims the singular verb,  is, is correct; the other camp maintains that
the verb should be plural. How can I explain this construction?

Carolyn