ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 21:49:08 -0400
I agree that it's not a problem for Zwicky's description (which,
thanks to Herb, I now have a clearer picture of), but sentences---
indeed, paragraphs---beginning with FANBOYS connectives are quite a
problem for a great many English teachers, even though as Craig
pointed out earlier, college handbooks have never banned the
practice.  Warriner neither approved nor disapproved, but a recent
Warriner clone warns against the practice in "formal writing."

Ed