ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2014 14:06:30 -0500
This is an interesting discussion and I think it gives us something to
think about as we categorize error. (BTW, I intentionally left out the
comma in that sentence. Is it a run-on?)

I would not have called the original sentence a run-on sentence because its
major problem was simply a missing comma. The independent clauses had been
linked appropriately with 'so,' just as my two clauses above are linked
with 'and.'

So for me, the basic idea of a run-on is that the joining of two
independent clauses forces a reader to have trouble parsing the sentence.
The comma missing from the original example does not give a reader any
trouble at all. This seems to be why it is acceptable to join two short
independent clauses with simply a conjunction and no comma.

The discussion is intriguing to me in terms of how we characterize error.
There seems to be a more structural rules-based view as opposed to a more
functional view. The first seems more writer-based (Am I following
the conventions of formal English?) and the second more reader-based (Can
my reader easily understand my meaning?).

Linda

Linda Di Desidero, PhD

Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center

Marine Corps University

Gray Research Center, Room 122

Quantico, Virginia 22134

703-784-4401