ATEG Archives

October 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:37:09 -0400
  Brett,
     I like your arguments for "ago" as distinct. Very helpful.
     I think when it comes to traditional categories, we should err on
the side of inertia (or conservatism) because we would otherwise be
asking people (admittedly not a large group these days) to change a
trusted way of thinking. It's not like we are looking at alternative
proposals in a vacuum. If the arguments are equal, I would vote for the
status quo.
    This would include, of course, "subordinating conjunction" as a
traditional category. So "two days before they did" uses /before/ as
subordinating conjunction or as "preposition" acting as head of an
adverbial clause. Again, that's asking people to change their current
frame of reference.
    We might have a similar problem with words that start as verbs or
nouns and then become common in the other category. /Hope, fear/, and
/desire/ are examples that come quickly to mind. Currently, a good
dictionary will classify them as both. If I flip open a dictionary, I
see that even "hole," which I would call noun if you asked, is also a
verb in sentences like "he holed his third shot." We have plenty of
precedent for words floating into other categories, and traditionally we
put that word into more than one category if the use is a common use.
    But I have an open mind. I can see the arguments on the other side.

Craig